Tuesday, August 28, 2012

For Entertainment Purposes Only


Recently, eBay announced that they will no longer be offering occult items. Specifically, psychic readings, spells, potions, and tarot readings. I am not sure whether I agree with this move. One the one hand, it could be a practical step towards protecting people from con artists; however, it is difficult to say that these items have no worth.

When evaluating such things, one must be sure to put aside preconceived notions of what is real, what is trickery, and what may be honest, but ineffective. To put it another way, in an anthropological class I took on magic, we were introduced to the concept, “Does the charlatan know that he is a charlatan?” If something is fake, does that necessarily mean it is intended to fool someone, or is there a genuine belief behind the practice? But, does this honesty justify charging money, even if the service is not real?

And what of items that may have no supernatural effect, but still elicit a psychosomatic response? If someone believes in the power of spell casting and has terrible self-esteem, could not something which affirms their self-worth psychologically be a viable service? I do not believe in the power of tarot cards, but having my cards read by a friend who knows me has led to genuine discussions about my personality and contained minor insights into my psychological state.

Even if one assumes that “metaphysical” items and services have some degree of efficacy, how does one sort them out from people who are blatantly trying to deceive people into giving away their money?

Whenever I have discussions about the paranormal with my mother, she brings up the idea that it is legal to practice something supernatural, but not to charge money for it. (I’m not sure if there actually is a law to that effect or if that was only what she proposed.) Her reasoning was that if anyone truthfully had powers of some kind, they have the responsibility to use them for the benefit of others without expecting payment, but that if it were fake, no one would be getting ripped off.

I do not think eBay’s decision will single-handedly end the occult market. It is easier than ever to accept money online using PayPal or Google Wallet—I am sure that practitioners of magical arts will still have a way to make a living. Still, should they be able to profit from such a thing, which is at best unprovable and at worst a sham?

Perhaps the best solution is to add the same disclaimer that many psychic hotlines have: “for entertainment purposes only.”

No comments:

Post a Comment