Sunday, September 2, 2012

Sanskrit and Super Bowls



I have a spiffy new laptop, and I am looking to name it something deserving. So far, I have discovered two Sanskrit words that mean “light weight,” which is appropriate since my old laptop was a monstrous desktop replacement with a 17 inch screen that weighed a ton. The two words are lagubhara and alpabhara. Both may be entirely too pretentious.

At any rate, I am glad to have a fully functional computer again. One of the more annoying issues with my old one (named Sophocles) was that the “q” and “2” keys did not work. Instead of joining my family and some family friends to watch the most recent Super Bowl, I was sequestered in my room, drinking wine. I spilled the libation onto my keyboard and ever since then I have had to rely on the on-screen keyboard to replace the dysfunctional keys. “Q” may not seem like an especially common letter, but when you take classes at Susquehanna University, it is.

I like to name my gadgets. I am not sure why, but I can think of at least two other people who do the same thing. They share a name, but not much else. Other items named include a Creative Zen MP3 player (Bodhisattva) and three external hard drives (Blueberry (the manufacturer provided this name), Fenghuang (it rose from the ashes of an old computer), and Svalbard). I never got around to naming my Droid X, though it was unofficially called “Number 13” (referencing Battlestar Galactica). My sleek Galaxy SIII probably deserves an appropriate moniker as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment