Monday, September 24, 2012

A Relatively Pointless Grievance


A friend on Google+ recently re-shared this story about Pope Benedict XVI issuing a statement against gay marriage. He tagged the post with the hash tag #nazipope.

This annoys me. Despite popular rumor, the Pope never actively supported the Nazi party. Whether he complied too much with Nazi rule is certainly up to debate, but to say he endorses Hitler’s views is a lazy exaggeration.

I am biased. I identify as Catholic (among other things), but I am not against calling out the Pope on this sort of thing (and there are plenty of things to criticize about him). Just leave the Nazi-calling to the Tea Party. Do not call him a Nazi, call him what he is: homophobic.

If by any chance that acquaintance is reading, I am not angry, just annoyed. And picky. And admittedly defending the reputation of a man whom I do not agree with. But I do not like inflating things unfairly.

No comments:

Post a Comment